- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 carrots, coarsely grated (2 cups)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3/4 lb. ground turkey (93% lean, dark meat)
- 1 can (28 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tbsp. dark-brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger rolls, split
In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium; add carrots, onion, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add turkey; cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce. Cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve on whole-wheat rolls.
Source: Adapted from Martha Stewart