With the warm weather winding down, it's the perfect time to head to your local farmer's market to pick up your last few baskets of fresh produce before they close down for the season. Panzanella is a delicious salad that is extra filling since toasted bread is a main component. Adding fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, onions and basil gives the salad a burst of flavor and color. The simple vinaigrette brings it all together for a delicious side dish. Enjoy!
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small French bread or boule, cut into 1-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large, ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 hothouse cucumber, unpeeled, seeded, and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 red onion, cut in 1/2 and thinly sliced
- 10 large basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 tbsp. capers, drained
- 1 tsp. garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp. rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
For the vinaigrette, whisk all the ingredients together.
In a large bowl, mix the tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, basil and capers. Add the bread cubes and toss with the vinaigrette. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Serve, or allow the salad to sit for about half an hour for the flavors to blend.
Source: Adapted from Food Network