This Italian-inspired dinner is a one-pan meal that even the novice cook can master. Aside from browning the chicken, you simply add all the ingredients to the pan and let them simmer together to create a mouthwatering sauce. Voila!
Green olives and capers are the surprise elements in this dish that add some saltiness to the sauce. The vinegar adds a little extra acidity to the tomato base, giving it a nice little kick. Serve this over noodles or rice for a complete meal. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- 6 (6 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup sliced green olives
- 1/4 cup capers
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- Dash of ground red pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (28-ounce) can Italian-style tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 8 cups hot cooked macaroni or cavatappi*
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in pan. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add parsley and next 8 ingredients (parsley through tomatoes). Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
Uncover and simmer 25 minutes or until chicken is tender. Discard bay leaves. Serve with pasta. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
*Note: Leave out the pasta to make this low-carb and gluten-free.
Source: Adapted from My Recipes