- 4, 6- or 8-inch corn tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup chopped green or red sweet pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved (optional)
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced (optional)
For tortilla bowls, wrap tortillas in foil. Warm in a 350 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Spray four 10-ounce custard cups with nonstick cooking spray.
Carefully press 1 tortilla into each cup. Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 15 minutes or until crisp. Cool; remove from custard cups.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook meat, onion, and garlic until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain fat.
Stir in tomato sauce, vinegar, cumin, and red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
Divide lettuce among 4 serving plates. Place a tortilla on each plate. Spoon beef mixture into tortillas. Sprinkle with green or red pepper and cheese. Serve with cherry tomato halves and avocado slices. Makes 4 servings.
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare tortilla bowls. Place in large freezer container with paper towels between bowls and crumpled around sides to protect the shells. Seal, label, and freeze up to 1 month.
Source: Better Homes and Garden