I love that this particular version puts garlic cloves in with the cooking potatoes. The garlic gets soft in the boiling process, so when it comes time to mash up the potatoes, you get the fresh garlic mashed right along with it. These are creamy, garlicy and delicious. Enjoy!
- 2 lbs. (4 medium) yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 1/4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1/4 cup fat free chicken or beef broth
- 2 tbsp. skim milk
- 1 tbsp. light butter
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Dash of fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs of choice: parsley, thyme, tarragon, for serving (optional)
Put potatoes and garlic in a large pot with salt and enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer for 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and return potatoes and garlic to pan.
Add sour cream and remaining ingredients. Using a masher, mash until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.